SIGCSE 2019 Presenter Information
Please follow the SIGACCESS Guidelines to create a presentation that all attendees can enjoy and learn from. We summarize the linked SIGACCESS guidelines and add a few more below:
- Choose a high contrast color scheme that supports color blind readers,
- Use more than color coding to communicate information,
- Keep text brief,
- Keep graphics simple and be verbally describe images, animations, videos,
- Avoid using a pointer,
- Caption videos,
- Speak clearly, use a microphone, face the audience, and use common, understandable terms,
- Post your slides early,
- Share your contact information, and
- Download your slides, videos, and sounds locally on your computer; don’t depend on wifi for your presentation.
Presentation lengths vary by presentation type:
- Paper Presentations: 20 minute presentation followed by 5 minutes for questions
- Panels: 75 minutes
- Special Sessions: 75 minutes
- Workshops: 3 hours
- ACM Student Research Competition:
- Poster: 4 hours
- Semi-finalist presentation: 10 minute presentation followed by 5 minutes of questions
- BOFs: 50 minutes
- Demos: 45 minutes
- Lightning Talks: 5 minutes
- Nifty Assignments: 75 minutes / # of speakers
- Posters: 2 hours
Conference Policies for Presenters
Remember to follow SIGCSE Conference Policies and the ACM Policy Against Harassment at ACM Activities.
As speakers at SIGCSE, show respect to others by:
- keeping to time limits,
- preparing presentations in advance,
- listening to questions,
- using the microphone so everyone can hear, and
- repeating questions so the audience can hear.
Speakers are role models. As such, promote connections between attendees and engage with attendees on stage and off.
General presentation rooms are equipped with:
- Projector & screen, 16:9 aspect ratio, with a single HDMI cable for video
- Podium & microphone
- Panel presentation and special session rooms will also have a skirted headtable, 4 chairs, and two additional mics on the table.
The first two-three rows of the room will be setup classroom style followed by Theater style.
BRING: Your own presentation laptop and your own dongle to link your laptop to HDMI. We recommend a backup of your presentation on USB.
Set your slide ASPECT RATIO to 16:9!
Pre-Symposium Events and Workshops
Room setup requests will most likely be accommodated, but there is a chance that a room may not be reset properly due to time constraints on venue staff.
Exhibit hall demos will have the following equipment:
- 42” monitor cart with single HDMI cable
Demos in the session rooms will have the standard presentation equipment.
Birds of a Feather
Birds of a Feather use the room as provided.